Thursday, January 6, 2011

Thirsty Thursday...

Haha!  I bet that got some attention, it just reminded me I need a tall glass of water.  I try to drink somewhere between 1 and 2 gallons of water a day.  I will not treat myself to a cup of coffee unless I have had a full glass of water - sometimes I will even drink my first glass of water out of my coffee mug.  Well, as I started to type this I was curious just how much water I should be drinking, so I googled "how much water should you drink" and this is what I got from www.mayoclinic.com
  • Replacement approach. The average urine output for adults is about 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) a day. You lose close to an additional liter (about 4 cups) of water a day through breathing, sweating and bowel movements. Food usually accounts for 20 percent of your total fluid intake, so if you consume 2 liters of water or other beverages a day (a little more than 8 cups) along with your normal diet, you will typically replace your lost fluids.
  • Eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. Another approach to water intake is the "8 x 8 rule" — drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day (about 1.9 liters). The rule could also be stated, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," as all fluids count toward the daily total. Although the approach really isn't supported by scientific evidence, many people use this easy-to-remember rule as a guideline for how much water and other fluids to drink.
  • Dietary recommendations. The Institute of Medicine advises that men consume roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day and women consume 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day.
And it appears that I am on track because the next page states that women who breast-feed should drink 13 cups of fluids a day.  And at least another 1-2 cups of water if you are exercising, (which we are going to do 5 days a week).  Drinking plenty of water is also supposed to suppress your appetite.  It doesn't seem to for me, even drinking almost 2 gallons of water a day because I still want to everything!  It moves toxins through your system, at least they always tell me that after a massage, "Drink plenty of water."  I could go for a massage.  It has been 4 days straight at the gym, week one.  I could also use a pedicure - haha!  So no massage, no pedicure, but I will get a hot shower.  So, goodnight, good morning, or good day!  Hope your week has been fun-filled and completely blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was just searching for this info for some time. Following 6 hours of continuous Googleing, at last I got it within your internet site. I wonder what's the lack of Google technique that don't rank this kind of informative sites in leading of the list. Usually the top websites are full of garbage.