I thought that might get the attention of some but no, I am just kidding. I have lost 30 pounds, but my son is now six months old, and there is A LOT more to go. We are trying to do baby steps (no pun intended) and originally I was striving to go to the gym 5 days a week, doing a combination of cardio and strength training. It was really tough to do! So, I gave myself a break and go at least three times a week.. if I go more, then great!
I did not lose any of the 50lbs I gained with my first pregnancy (even though I breastfed the ENTIRE time). And then we got pregnant for the second time and since I was "a little" overweight before I was pregnant the first time, it was not pretty. As a matter fact, even before we were pregnant, my stepmother asked me if I was pregnant. That should give you an idea... Anyway..
While I was pregnant (both times), I tried to stay active. I mostly walked, rode the bike, or did pool aerobics (which was super awesome while being so big because I'd forget I was preggers, well at least my lower back did!). To change up the pace, I would do other classes, such as yoga or even belly dance. I was lucky enough to receive a belly dance dvd for review purposes because I am a member of the Happy and Healthy Mom review team and I was pregnant! REALLY pregnant. I got to try The Perfect Pregnancy Workout vol.3: Belly Dance For Labor.
The music and the setting are great. I enjoy going to drum circles here on the beach so the different drum rhythms that go along with the dance are calming and exciting at the same time. It takes me to another place.
I did not get a chance to try this dvd until the end of my last trimester. I was exhausted, heavy, and ready to have my baby. I had back pain and was just plain over it. Despite, being active during my pregnancy I only did the beginner portion to be safe. I felt super sexy while doing the moves. It probably helps that the instructor is very pregnant, too.
The instructor, Elisa Llamido, is a professional dancer, martial artist and acrobat but do not be intimidated because you do not have to have any prior belly dancing knowledge to do this video. I enjoy the stretch that you feel while doing pelvic gyrations (the hip circles, crescents and figure eights). It really helped me through tightness that I felt during my pregnancy and labor.
Both of my births were relatively easy labors (no complications). I pushed both of kiddos out is less than ½ hour. I did choose to have an epidural for both and did not tear. I have heard some really awful horror stories. I do not attribute my birthing experiences to belly dancing but I would recommend at least trying it to help be more in tune with your body and exercise the muscles involved with labor. In my opinion, you cannot be wrong for having an open mind!
Thanks again to Heather, at Happy and Healthy Mom and Progressive Parent for this review opportunity.
No comments:
Post a Comment